Homicide consists of the unlawful killing of another person. It can be committed in various ways according to Indiana law. These various types of homicide are based on the accused person’s role in the action, his or her intent, and how the actions taken led to the victim’s death. Regardless of the type of homicide involved, if you are being investigated for or have been arrested for homicide, you need the help of an experienced criminal defense lawyer. Your choice of an attorney may be one of the most defining factors in the outcome of your case.
At the Law Office of B.D. Williams, you can turn to a trusted legal professional who has decades of experience, national recognition as a trial lawyer, and who exclusively practices criminal defense for clients in and around Indianapolis, Tippecanoe County, and Madison County. Our attorney brings strong credentials to your defense which is what is needed in such serious allegations. We can thoroughly review all aspects of your arrest, the law enforcement investigation, police procedure, and more in search of evidence favorable to you. Our firm can then devise the strongest possible defense strategy on your behalf.
Accused of homicide? Schedule a free, initial consultation with our Indianapolis homicide attorney online or by calling (317) 458-9911.
Homicide Charges in Indiana
Indiana law has established seven types of homicide:
- Murder. This involves the intentional killing of another. Please refer to our page on Murder for further information.
- Causing suicide. This is done by force or deception and is charged as a Level 3 felony.
- Assisting suicide. This done by providing the means for the victim to commit suicide or by participating in the act. It is charged as a Level 5 felony.
- Voluntary manslaughter. This is the knowing or intentional killing of another while in the “sudden heat” of the moment. It is charged as a Level 2 felony.
- Involuntary manslaughter. This involves the killing of another while committing or attempting to commit another crime that would pose the risk of serious bodily injury. It is charged as a Level 5 felony.
- Reckless homicide. This is the reckless killing of another and is charged as a Level 5 felony.
- Feticide. This is the knowing or intentional killing of a fetus (does not include legal abortion) and is charged as a Level 3 felony.
Indiana felony penalties for the above crimes include fines of up to $10,000 and the following prison terms:
- Level 2 Felony: 10 – 30 years
- Level 3 Felony: Three – 15 years
- Level 5 felony: One – Six years
In all cases, aggravating circumstances can result in a stiffer sentence while mitigating circumstances can lead to a more lenient sentence.
Call the Law Office of B.D. Williams for the Help You Need Today
Our Indiana homicide defense attorney will work tirelessly to protect your rights, build a defense to put you in the strongest position possible, and provide the support and guidance you need at every phase of the legal process.
Providing Assurance & Confidence When You Need It the Most
Arrests and criminal charges are among the greatest challenges you will ever face. If you or a loved one has been charged with a crime, you are likely experiencing stress, confusion, and uncertainty. You may not know where to turn, what your charges mean, and how they will affect you. Your reputation, your job or career, your future, and your freedom may all be at stake.
At the Law Office of B.D. Williams, we understand the duress of criminal charges and being thrown into a system you may not fully understand. Our mission is to help you at this critical time, to provide the legal support you need, to advise and counsel you on your rights and options, and to see that you are treated fairly throughout the legal process. The State of Indiana has harsh criminal laws and the penalties for a criminal conviction can be quite severe. Even if the charge is relatively minor, you will want to know that your attorney brings competence and commitment to the fight.
When you retain our services, you can have confidence knowing that our Indianapolis defender has substantial trial experience. Whether you are facing a minor misdemeanor or a more serious felony, your case will be handled with diligence and dedication.
Our Criminal Defense Legal Services
The Law Office of B.D. Williams handles a wide range of criminal law matters, as seen below. It is important to know that all crimes, including both felonies and misdemeanors, must be proven beyond a reasonable doubt. This is a tough standard to meet which often gives you the opportunity to fight back with evidence that may cast doubt on the state’s case. However, not every potential strategy may be obvious to someone who is not experienced in defending cases.
As your criminal defender, our attorney possesses the knowledge, experience, and tenacity to investigate your case in detail and explore all of your options. It is also important to remember to seek legal representation as soon as you realize that you are being investigated. In some instances, hiring a criminal defense attorney early in the process can affect whether a prosecutor pursues criminal charges at all.
We serve the greater Indianapolis area and the surrounding counties of Tippecanoe and Madison.
- Your Initial Consultation Is Free & We're Available 24/7
- More Than 20 Years Of Legal Experience
- Aggressive Defense of Our Client's Rights