At the Law Office of B.D. Williams, you can turn to a trusted legal professional who has decades of experience, national recognition as a trial lawyer, and who exclusively practices criminal defense for clients in and around Indianapolis, Tippecanoe County, and Madison County. Our attorney brings strong credentials to your defense which is what is needed in such serious allegations. We can thoroughly review all aspects of your arrest, the law enforcement investigation, police procedure, and more in search of evidence favorable to you. Our firm can then devise the strongest possible defense strategy on your behalf.
Types of Homicide Charges in Indiana
Homicide consists of the unlawful killing of another person. It can be committed in various ways according to Indiana law. These various types of homicide are based on the accused person’s role in the action, his or her intent, and how the actions taken led to the victim’s death. Regardless of the type of homicide involved, if you are being investigated for or have been arrested for homicide, you need the help of an experienced criminal defense lawyer. Your choice of an attorney may be one of the most defining factors in the outcome of your case.
Indiana law has established seven types of homicide:
- Murder - This involves the intentional killing of another. Please refer to our page on Murder for further information.
- Causing suicide - This is done by force or deception and is charged as a Level 3 felony.
- Assisting suicide - This done by providing the means for the victim to commit suicide or by participating in the act. It is charged as a Level 5 felony.
- Voluntary manslaughter - This is the knowing or intentional killing of another while in the “sudden heat” of the moment. It is charged as a Level 2 felony.
- Involuntary manslaughter - This involves the killing of another while committing or attempting to commit another crime that would pose the risk of serious bodily injury. It is charged as a Level 5 felony.
- Reckless homicide - This is the reckless killing of another and is charged as a Level 5 felony.
- Feticide - This is the knowing or intentional killing of a fetus (does not include legal abortion) and is charged as a Level 3 felony.
Accused of homicide? Schedule a free, initial consultation with our Indianapolis homicide attorney online or by calling (317) 458-9911.
Indiana Homicide Penalties
Indiana felony penalties for the above crimes include fines of up to $10,000 and the following prison terms:
- Level 2 Felony: 10 – 30 years
- Level 3 Felony: Three – 15 years
- Level 5 felony: One – Six years
In all cases, aggravating circumstances can result in a stiffer sentence while mitigating circumstances can lead to a more lenient sentence.
Schedule a Free Initial Consultation
No matter what type of homicide charge you face, getting convicted can result in serious criminal penalties, including a lengthy prison sentence, fines worth tens of thousands of dollars, and a permanent criminal record that can cause irreparable damage to your personal life and professional reputation. When facing such charges, you need to hire a criminal defense attorney who has experience defending clients with similar circumstances.
If you have been accused of committing homicide in Indiana, let the Law Office of B.D. Williams protect your rights, reputation, and freedom. With more than two decades of experience, our Indianapolis homicide lawyer knows what it takes to vigorously defend you inside and outside the courtroom and help you obtain the most favorable result in your case. Do not wait to let us get started on developing your aggressive and personalized defense strategy immediately.
- Your Initial Consultation Is Free & We're Available 24/7
- More Than 20 Years Of Legal Experience
- Aggressive Defense of Our Client's Rights